Memories of the Lecture on Jan 27 2018:
Jenny Allen creates art infused with soul. It’s the first thing most people notice about her work, and so many people ask how she does it that she has designed a series of classes to help all the rest of us add meaning to our work.
There are so many reasons to be excited about this series! My favorite thing about Jenny’s classes is that they are about IDEAS that each student will interpret in a unique way. It does require some effort and introspection, of course, but to have your thought process expanded in just a few hours is a bit of a miracle, right?
Another great thing about this series is that it is a SERIES! Jenny will show us many ways to interpret our new ideas over the course of four classes and a lecture/discussion with a rich assortment of actual examples.
“I believe there is an aspect of an amulet or a talisman in every artwork I create. The driving force is my intention and belief in the message I want to convey. Amulets and talismans, from prehistoric times to present day, are a part of all cultures and spiritual rituals. In this series of workshops, we will explore the historical meanings and experience the creative construction of amulets and talismans.” A two-hour lecture with exercises will set the stage for four other workshops:
Amulets and Talismans:
A) *Lecture and discussion.. 1/27/18…1:00 to 4:00pm…$25
1) Jewelry as Armor……………. 2/10/18…1:00 to 4:00pm…$48
2) Sticks, Stones and Bone….. 2/24/18…1:00 to 4:00pm…$48
3) Paper Clay……………………… 3/10/18…1:00 to 4:00pm…$65
4) Amulets as Sculpture………. 3/24/18…1:00 to 4:00pm…$48
*A) The lecture is a pre-requisite for all of the classes, but you may choose any one or combination of the four classes.
1) Jewelry as Armor – Amulets in the form of jewelry – necklaces and pins. We will explore different chains, fabric beads, and closures.
2) Sticks, Stones and Bones – Found objects used for Amulets and Talismans. Mountings and macrame holders will be taught.
3) Paper Clay – This is a mini-sculpture class using paper clay, paints and patinas.
4) Amulets as Sculpture – A collage of all our experiments from all the earlier classes resulting in a 3-d sculpture that may include jewelry, dolls, wall pieces, statues, and more.
Amulets are symbols of protection. Here are some things we might all enjoy protection from:
Monsters. Snakes Anxiety
Oak mites. Forest Fires.
Bad attitudes. Bad Drivers. Toxic People
Ghosts. Pests. Greed
Mosquitos. Jealousy. Vanity
IRS. Poison Ivy. Bad Ideas
Bullets. Varmints. Mountain Lions
Illness. Bears. Floods
Bed Bugs. Tornadoes Worry
I’m sure you will be able to add to this list!!
Treasures to Gather for class:
Items from nature that inspire or evoke a great memory (feathers, stones, crystals,sticks, etc.)
Family treasures (trinkets, photos, cloth, old jewelry, etc.)
Sewing kitsButtons, threads, yarn